Reading Time: 2 minutes
Earlier this year, South Carolina lawmakers determined $61 million of the tax dollars generated by the 2018 Mega Millions winner would be used to fund $50 tax rebate checks for qualifying taxpayers. A rebate check may be on its way to your mailbox! Learn more below and see if you qualify.
Pause a Moment Before Reading Further
Before you check if you qualify, take a moment to think about how you may want to use the refund. Using your tax refund wisely and directing it toward your financial goals might give you a little boost that can go a long way psychologically, and financially. At Intelligent Investing, one of our core values is Compassion. We encourage you to perhaps think about a charity you’d like to give towards.
In order to qualify:
- You must have filed your 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return by October 15, 2019.
- You must have a 2018 South Carolina tax liability of at least $50 after credits.
- Not sure how to determine your tax liability? Take a look at your 2018 return:
- Original returns (SC1040): If Line 15 – (Line 21 + Line 22) is $50 or more, you qualify
Amended returns (SC1040X): If Line 14 – Line 11 is $50 or more, you qualify
Not sure if you qualify? Check your rebate status here. Enter $50.00 in the Refund Amount field. Married couples who filed a joint 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return will receive one $50 rebate check.
Taxpayers who don’t live in South Carolina, but who filed a 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return are also eligible, as long as they meet the qualifications listed above.
How will eligible taxpayers receive their rebate?
Eligible South Carolina taxpayers will receive their paper rebate checks by mail.
- You will receive it as a $50 paper check, regardless of how you may have received your 2018 refund.
- Each check will be mailed to the most recent address we have on file for you, which is typically the address on your 2018 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return.
When will eligible taxpayers receive their money?
According to the Legislature, rebates will be issued to eligible taxpayers by December 2. The SC Department of Revenue has started issuing checks.
- Rebates are being issued to eligible taxpayers in zip code order.
- If you moved recently and have not updated your address with the SCDOR, your check may be delayed.
- Want to know if your check is in the mail? Check your rebate status here. Enter $50.00 in the Refund Amount field.
How do I identify my rebate check?
Your rebate will be mailed in a standard white envelope with an SCDOR return address and your name and address visible in the window.
- The check will say “SC Tax Rebate” on the memo line.
- The check will be for exactly $50.
- Information about the rebate will be included on the page that the check is printed on.
For more information, please visit https://dor.sc.gov/rebate.